Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Still Wild About Harry

I've begun re-reading the entire Harry Potter series, trying to trace anything to do with the theme of memory/memories. I had an idea -- months ago, when I was in an inspiring online reading group at Barnes and Noble University following the publication of Half-Blood Prince -- to work up an essay around that theme and its importance to the overall series. Lately I dug the idea out again and started my re-read, tiny notebook and pen next to me so I can jot page numbers and quotes as I go.

Of course, it's mostly just a good excuse to revisit the wonderful Harry Potter stories, which I have enjoyed numerous times in the past few years. I am an unabashed Harry Potter fan, and have discovered, to my joy, many like-minded adults who are also crazy about these books. I still read and post (at least somewhat regularly) in an online HP forum. It's an unusual one and a wonderful one too, because it's moderated by my friend John Granger, whose brilliant books The Hidden Key to Harry Potter and Looking for God in Harry Potter have helped many of us to explore the Christian symbolism and themes of the stories (not to mention we like to kick around exciting topics like Rowling's use of "narrative misdirection"). John manages to attract wonderfully thoughtful people. Lots of writers and teachers in this group, and numerous Austen, Dickens and Inklings fans! No wonder I enjoy my time there.

At any rate, I'm having a hard time concentrating on my notetaking because, in spite of the fact that I've read most of the books in the series a handful of times, I find myself getting caught up in them again. Hanging out with Harry, Ron and Hermione is like hanging out with old friends. I had forgotten how funny Sorcerer's Stone is -- laugh out loud funny, in some parts. It's so delightful to be so delighted while rejoicing in a story that skewers the blatant materialism of our times, and does a wonderful job of emphasizing the power of sacrificial love. And those are just two things Rowling does so well.

At any rate, I'll keep reading and note-taking and see if I actually get anywhere with the essay later this spring. (I know it's not spring yet -- but I still think on an academic schedule.) It's not exactly priority right now admist all the other work I need to do, not to mention other reading and writing projects, but it's wonderful "background" reading...I know I can always take a holiday with Harry.

And in the spirit of holiday, here are a few observations I've made while reading Sorcerer's Stone... observations of the "isn't that interesting?" variety or the "hmm...wonder if that might be important in the final book" variety. I find that last especially interesting, as I fully believe Rowling is going to come full circle in book 7 with many of the ideas, themes and plotlines introduced in book 1. Still, these are not my most serious reflections about where the story is going...I'm mostly having fun here.
  • Wouldn't it be funny if the boa constrictor that Harry accidentally set free in the zoo came back to help him out in the final battle? He owes Harry, so maybe he could duke it out with Nagini. (This is a joke. I'm counting on a Fawkes/Nagini encounter actually.)
  • Has Harry inherited Sirius Black's flying motorcycle? And would he enjoy flying on that as much as he loves flying on his Firebolt?
  • Have we seen the last of Hagrid's pink umbrella? Remember it's his wand (the one that got snapped in pieces when he was expelled from Hogwarts). We haven't seen Hagrid attempt much magic, but he's capable of some feats. And if John Granger is right about the pattern of the alchemical symbolism (and I'm willing to bet he is!) then Hagrid has a very important role to play in the final book.
  • What wand is it that Ollivander keeps in his window (the one in the display case)? Is anyone running Ollivander's now that he's disappeared? (and whose side is he really on? I have my theories about that one...)
  • Snape's saving of Harry during the first Quidditch match...major foreshadowing?
More to come later...I'm only a bit over half-way through.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I came across a book the other day in the back room at work. Advanced copy, I think. A book edited by Mercedes Lackey and containing all sorts of essays pertaining to Harry Potter written by sci-fi and fantasy writers. Really interesting stuff. I think Rowling is absolutely brilliant, and is spite of all the criticism she's drawn from some Christian cmaps, I consider her easily one of the most moral writers of our time. Your observations are interesting, and I certainly hope you're right about Hagrid. He's always been my favorite character, and I definitely want to see him have a big role in the final installment. And it will be very interesting to see what happens with Snape. I should re-read the series before the last book comes out, and it's about time I started writing poems about HP the way I've been doing with LotR... Well, maybe that can be my next project...

Beth said...

Oh hooray, another Harry Potter fan who realizes Rowling's genius! I think the books are pretty steeped in Christian themes (and I think/hope that will become even clearer in the final installment).

If you decide to write some HP poetry, I'd love to see it. I've written two Snape poems recently --will try to remember to send them on to you via email!

Erin said...

Ooh! Please do! :)