Friday, May 11, 2007

The Bennet Sisters at the Ball

I came across a small notebook where I'd jotted some poem snippets a number of months ago. Nothing profound, but I did find this funny little poem I penned about the Bennet sisters (of Pride and Prejudice) at a ball. The girls aren't listed in birth order: I decided to kick off the poem with a stanza about Lizzy.

Enjoy the silliness!

**********

Witty and feisty
was Elizabeth B
who said most clearly
and vehemently
"Dance with Mr. Darcy?
Not on your life!"
But dance she did.
(She became his wife!)

Jane was so quiet,
so lovely, serene.
She had only to wait,
for once she'd been seen
by Bingley, who liked her
and asked for two dances --
yes two! that increased
matrimonial chances.

Mary of course had
to bloom by the wall,
for Mary (poor dear)
never once danced at all.
She would tickle the
keys of pianoforte,
but never played well
though she practised all day.

Kitty dear girl
stayed by Lydia's side.
Young sister's bad influence
can't be denied.
On the dance floor
she practiced the same
flirty looks,
though she'd be better off
reading Mary's big books.

Lydia oh Lydia, yes
it's come to the light
that wild giggling Lydia
could dance all the night
with partners in red coats,
handsome and gallant,
though picking the scoundrel
is Lydia's talent.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Wonderful! You really capture the personality of each of them well. I especially got a chuckle out of the stanza about poor Mary, which sounds a lot like me at a dance, though I hope I wasn't quite so disagreeable...

Beth said...

Hee! I was always the wallflower too. And the egghead academic, so I can sympathize with Mary -- though I do think Austen painted her with rather exaggerated strokes. :-) Glad you enjoyed the fun!