Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Things To Do To Get Ready for Winter

The Monday poetry stretch over at Miss Rumphius inspired this poem, although now that I've finished it, I've decided it's probably not a true list poem. Not sure I'll post the link over there after all, but thought it would be fun to post it here anyway. If you're a fan of to-do lists, I hope you'll enjoy it!

Virtual gold-stars to anyone who gets the picture book allusion about mid-way through, or what poem I'm echoing a bit in the final line.

Things To Do To Get Ready for Winter

Since I can’t hibernate,
resign myself to hunkering.
Check my tea stash in the cupboard
by the stove. Adjust the thermostat
and pile on the fleece blankets.
Pray for those still out in the cold.
Plan what we’ll read on the
Thanksgiving trip, dig out the
Advent and Christmas music.
Be grateful for a little girl
who likes snow, but be prepared
for her to flit from window to window
like a wind-driven flake whenever
we see a flurry or a squall.
Enjoy the holiday catalogs,
but think “make” and “do” not buy.
Rearrange the Austen movies;
double-check my list of books
to put on hold at the library.
Try to find the Advent candles
I bought last year and promised
myself I wouldn’t lose.
Store summer colors like Frederick
but take note of industrious squirrels
who scramble through piles
of copper covered leaves,
looking for just the right place
to hide one more acorn treasure.
Find gloves, hats, scarves
and see if Sarah has outgrown
her boots. Tighten loose
buttons and replace lost ones.
Treasure small things, small
deeds, small kindnesses.
Hug my husband more often.
Stand in awe before bare branches
lit like moonlit candelabra.
Make my mother’s winter
vegetable soup. Don’t forget
to wear socks to bed, even though
I know I’ll kick them off
and lose them under the covers.
Practice lying still and dormant like a seed.

7 comments:

Erin said...

I cheated and looked up the picture book. ;) I've read Leo Lionni books before but not that one. Looks like a good one!

As for what poem you're echoing, it reminds me a bit of the "Wear Sunscreen" speech, but that could be because of the structure. I'm guessing that qualifies as a list poem too? Anyway, it's advice to yourself rather than advice to others - though most of it could apply to others as well!

I especially love the parts about the squirrels and about Sarah flitting to the windows to glimpse the snow. Such a great image, and so artfully written!

For some reason, I'm having a harder time than usual dealing with it getting dark so early every day. Thanks for this ray of light in the darkness...

Beth said...

Frederick was the first Leo Lionni book I ever knew. It's a good one! There's another book, quite a bit like it (similar theme of storing up color and light and poetry before winter) called Harry the Rabbit. The author is escaping me at the moment, though it's a well-known children's writer.

Nope, not the "Wear Sunscreen" speech (which sounds intriguing). I'll hold off for a bit saying what poem I was thinking of in case anyone else wants to play. :-)

I hear you about the difficulties of dealing with the lack of light so early in the day. I struggle with that every year...

though I will say the twilight this evening, with the snow on ground and roofs, was quite beautiful.

Erin said...

You've got me intrigued! I'll be checking back to find out the poem! The Sunscreen speech was super-popular the year I graduated from high school, after somebody read it, put a cheesy backing track on it and put it on the radio. You can read it here: http://www.lyricstime.com/baz-luhrman-sunscreen-speech-lyrics.html

And yes, I love when
"the moon, on the breast of the new-fallen snow, [gives] a luster of mid-day to objects below." I'm a bit under the weather so I've been hunkered down inside all day, but it is lovely out there...

Beth said...

I promise I'll post the poem I was thinking of sometime later this week. I've been thinking about it a lot lately, so it deserves a post anyway. I think I may be putting up more "poetry breaks" here for a while... something about winter coming makes me want to find and store up little poem treasures just like squirrels hide acorns. :-)

Martha said...

Thank you for this lovely early-winter poem... I am having trouble adjusting to the darkness and cold (we don't have snow quite yet, but will soon), and this helped me find my way!

Martha said...

Thank you for this wonderful poem... it is filled with beautiful images, and really helped me adjust to this cold and dark season...

Beth said...

Thanks, Marthy! You and I always seem to be on the same wavelength when it comes to how we process seasons (especially winter) so I'm glad this poem was encouraging!