Sunday, November 01, 2009

For All the Saints, Who From Their Labor Rest

I so love this hymn.

You can hear it here, with a full choir and organ.

The text is by William How, the glorious music by Ralph Vaughn Williams (whose music I've listened to for much of this day). God's gift of music through Ralph Vaughn Williams is yet one more reason I am thankful for the Anglican tradition.

O blest communion, fellowship divine!/We feebly struggle/they in glory shine/all are one in Thee/for all are Thine./Alleluia! Alleluia!


A blessed All Saints Day to you!

2 comments:

Eeyore said...

Beth, that is one of my favorite hymns. Aside from being a wonderful to sing, it reminds me of a friend who sang with us in choir when I was in high school. It was her favorite. She is the one who taught us to play the guitar and to love folk music - and she managed to expand our love of choral music by singing this hymn with enthusiasm and reverence.

Beth said...

Pat, what a lovely memory! Thank you for sharing it.

I do love this hymn. For years, I got used to singing it in church each All Saints day. I'm in a very "low church" parish right now, and we don't always do it (didn't yesterday) but I somehow found myself playing and singing it around the house a lot of yesterday anyway, and even shedding a few grateful tears.