There's just a tad bit over a week to go until poetry month, and I'm getting very excited! I've been looking over some of last year's online resources and am thrilled to see that many of the websites that celebrated in such creative fashion last year are planning to do it again. Here's what I plan to do for poetry month, both on and off this blog:
1) Post links, in the coming week, to some of the wonderful resources out there that celebrate the reading, writing and all-around enjoyment of poetry. Stay tuned!
2) Read poetry every day. Both with my seven year old, and on my own, I want April to be a month drenched in word-play. It's such a beautiful month for it too, beginning with the end of Holy Week and Easter and moving ever deeper into spring.
3) Write some poetry. I won't say every day because I need to be realistic, but some of the websites I'll be pointing to over the next few days have good creative prompts to get the creative juices flowing. With the sap flowing in the trees outside, it seems like a natural time of year to follow suit...
4) Post some of my own reflections on the importance of reading poetry with children, and some creative ways to help engage children in that kind of reading.
5) Ask a couple of my literature loving friends to talk me with about their favorite poems, and posting those Q&A interviews here.
So get ready for a loving onslaught of poetry posts!