Sunday, November 18, 2012

Dear Vincent (an original poem)

I will take up my pencil, which I have forsaken 
in my great discouragement, and I will go on 
with my drawing.
 --Van Gogh

Dear Vincent,

I received your postcard.
I don’t know how much postage
Costs in the past that was your present,
But I do sense that the words cost you deeply.
I thank you for flinging them forward
In the wild, thick-stroked way you love
So that they would stick to the wall of the world
And land in the mailbox of my heart today.
I would just like to say
Take heart, take up, and go on
And know that no matter how hard it feels
To sketch each line
There is someone in the future who believes
That it matters
And who hears the scratching of your pencil
And thinks it is the most encouraging music
She has heard
In a long, long time.

(~EMP 11/16/12)

4 comments:

Eeyore said...

Beth, I love this poem and the images that came into my mind as I read it. Lovely. Thank you.

Erin said...

Such a lovely poem. :)

Beth said...

Pat, I'm glad! And glad to see you. :) A blessed thanksgiving to you!

Beth said...

Thanks, Erin! :) (The line breaks came out better this way!)