Friday, March 03, 2006

Happy Birthday, Patricia MacLachlan!

Today is author Patricia MacLachlan's 68th birthday. She was born March 3, 1938. I don't think I've ever read a Patricia MacLachlan book I didn't like, but there are three in particular that have meant a lot to me over the years: Sarah, Plain and Tall (for which she won the Newbery Medal in 1986), Baby, and All the Places to Love.

From time to time, I plan to do "Happy Birthday" posts here for some of my favorite authors. Several months ago I began compiling a birthday list of authors, with an emphasis on children's authors, in the hopes that I can one day do a sort of "literary calendar" for children, with ideas for ways to celebrate a particular author's books, themes and life. It's a longterm project, but fun to plug away at from time to time.

At any rate, I love MacLachlan's work so much I couldn't resist posting here today. If you've never read her work, it's worth checking out. She writes musical prose about characters who are easy to love. Stories filled with small graces.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I've only read "Sarah Plain and Tall" thus far, but I really liked it. I would definitely like to read some of her others.

Beth said...

I think you'd really like her other stuff as well! She's written two or three sequels to *Sarah* (about the same family) and while none is perhaps as much a masterpiece as the original, they're all very good. After a while, you begin to catch on to the themes and images she loves, which crop up again and again.