Monday, March 20, 2006

Today Marks...

It's March 20th, which means several things (some wonderful, others sad...)

  • It's the first day of spring, over which there is great rejoicing in my heart. Despite the fact that it's still quite cold here, and I'm not seeing many buds on the trees yet...I know warmth and green are coming!
  • On a very personal note, it's my parents' wedding anniversary, their 52nd. What a wonderful day for them and for our family. I am giving thanks for their love for all of us and for one another, and how that love has persevered and grown through the years.
  • It's the birthday of Fred Rogers. Our beloved "television neighbor" died in February 2003; today would have been his 78th birthday. I'm always very aware of this anniversary since I live near Pittsburgh (his actual neighborhood!). Once again, I posted a tribute on epinions in honor of this loving, gentle man (this time a review of the book The World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things to Remember).
  • It's the third anniversary of the US led invasion of Iraq. There have been over 2,500 coalition deaths (over 2,300 U.S. deaths) and by conservative reckoning, over 33,000 Iraqi civilian deaths. A time to remember, a day to pray for peace. May we keep longing for, working toward, and especially praying for a day when war shall be no more. May we become peacemakers in our own small sphere of life, wherever that may be.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Amen to that. Blessed be the peacemakers...

Beth said...

Yes. Interesting...March 20th (though I forgot it) is also St. Joseph's day. He was certainly a peacemaker in his own way.