Monday, January 15, 2007

Maybe It's a Good Thing...

I have days when I really wish that the sweet girl had a little sister or brother. It's not just my own heart wishing for another little one, but I think sometimes how much a brother or sister, simply by existing, would teach her flexibility and patience (lessons she has a hard time learning, as do I!) far better perhaps than her Daddy and I can teach them alone. Still, I know for now that it's not to be.

And some days that's OK. Take this evening, for instance. We were having family devotions and our dear daughter tenderly cradled her latest baby doll in her arms. I looked over at her and felt my insides go all misty as I watched her loving care for this little doll. (Cue above wistful thoughts...)

"Oh sweetie," I said, "it's so nice to see you taking such good care of your baby!" The words still hung in mid-air when she turned more towards me, so I could see her more directly. She still cuddled that little doll close, but what I hadn't been able to see until that moment was the huge mischievous grin on her face. And her mouth, opened wide, as she attempted to bite the doll's foot.

Cue inner hysterical laughter!

2 comments:

Erin said...

LOL! Kids do the darnedest things... ;)

Beth said...

You can say that again! ;-)