Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Poetry Month: William Butler Yeats

I'm amazed that I've managed to retain my love and regard for Yeats' poetry. That's mostly because I was force-fed a steady diet of Yeats for about a year in college. I had a professor who was...um...rather obsessed with Yeats' work. We were required (yes, I did say required) to write our senior literary theses around Yeats. Every senior student of literature who wanted that B.A. had to write something about Yeats. Now to be fair, we had to compare or contrast or in some way relate Yeats to some other writer or movement that we had studied (I chose William Wordsworth). But we still had no choice but to incorporate Yeats in some way.

You might think that such devotion to one writer might have felt inspiring, but in many ways it felt stifling to me, at least at the time. As much as I did enjoy reading and even studying Yeats, I balked for a while about reading him on my own once I no longer "had" to. I guess this is an instance where someone who has a deep passion for something can come close to killing off potential passion in you just by virtue of their intensity.

But in recent years I have gone back to Yeats, or rather I've found him coming back to me. Certain poems (although not usually the ones we studied and analyzed to death) come sneaking back into my consciousness, and I do keep his work on my shelf for just those moments, the moments when I find myself longing for his music.

I even keep one Yeats poem on my wall. In fact, even during the years when I took an extended hiatus from reading anything else by Yeats, this poem stayed up. I've always loved it, for its lovely images and its musicality. In fact, when the sweet girl was a baby, I often would read the poem over and over while I nursed and rocked her, letting its sense of peace permeate my heart. Eventually, I created a tune for it so I could sing it to my little one. I still love to sing this poem.

The Lake Isle of Innisfree

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made;
Nine bean rows will I have there, a hive for the honeybee,
And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a-glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
And evening full of the linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear the water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements gray,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.

William Butler Yeats (1892)

There is something indescribably beautiful about this poem. The opening stanza makes me think of Celtic monks in their clay and wattle huts. The last two stanzas just seem soaked with peace and joy. Isn't it true that sometimes "peace comes dropping slow"? I love how Yeats incorporates both sight and sound to invoke that sense of peace and contentment, a sense that the poet carries with him, even when he is no longer physically present in that lovely "bee-loud glade." He carries it with him in his heart, and can call upon it even while he travels, even when he's in places filled with the dreariness of "pavements gray."

2 comments:

Erin said...

Have you ever heard the song "The Isle of Innisfree"? It's at least partly inspired by this poem, I think, and it has the tune of the theme music from The Quiet Man, with John Wayne. It's one of my favorite Irish Rovers songs:

I've met some folks who say that I'm a dreamer
And I've no doubt there's truth in what they say,
But sure a body's bound to be a dreamer
When all the things he loves are far away.

And precious things are dreams unto an exile;
They take him o'er the land across the sea,
Especially when it happens he's an exile,
From that dear lovely Isle of Innisfree.

And when the moonlight peeps across the rooftops
Of this great city wondrous though it be,
I scarcely feel its wonder or its laughter;
I'm once again back home in Innisfree.

I wander o'er green hills through dreamy valleys
And find a peace no other land could know;
I hear the birds make music fit for angels
And watch the rivers laughing as they flow.

And then into a humble shack I wander
My dear old home, and tenderly behold,
The folks I love around the turf fire gathered
On bended knees their rosary is told.

But dreams don't last, though dreams are not forgotten
And soon I'm back to stern reality,
But though they pave the footpaths here with gold-dust,
I still would choose my Isle of Innsifree.


That's really funny that your professor forced Yeats on everybody like that. I guess a nice thing about being a professor is having an audience to air your obsessions with!

Beth said...

I really must give a listen to the Irish Rovers! They've just never been on my radar -- until you, that is! I'll have to see if our library has some of their CDs.

And this song sounds lovely, lyrics-wise. I can only imagine how lovely it is with music. Thanks for sharing it! It's inspiring me to perhaps try my hand at my own Innisfree tribute...