Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Five Blocks, Five Nests

April! The sweet girl and I are spring detectives again, on the lookout for "clues to spring" whenever we take a walk.

It can sometimes be hard to spot clues in early spring, especially in the concrete and pavement environment we usually traverse. But yesterday provided us the wonderful discovery of five birds' nests within the five city blocks we walked to the post office. True, two or three of them at least were in the small gazebo park next to the post office (one of the few spots in town where we have a good clump of trees together) but it was exciting, nonetheless.

In fact, birds have suddenly appeared in great numbers, even in our little city. When I woke up yesterday, I could hear one (hear, not see) trilling a good morning song over and over. If I stood in one particular place in my kitchen, right under the skylight, it was like having front row seats concert seats. Later in the morning, during our school-time, a bird flew right up to our apartment windowsill and boldly peered in at us for a few seconds.

I'm excited because our small box from the Rainbow Resource Center arrived late yesterday. I had ordered a couple of craft projects and a math game from them, and while I was at it, I also ordered a good pair of child-sized binoculars. With the birds returning in great numbers and busily getting their spring building projects underway, I want to make sure we're good and ready to watch.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Five nests! Wow, that is exciting! And how cool to have a pair of kid-sized binoculars! Mokey is going crazy here because of the doves that have decided our back porch is their favorite roost. They just sit back there and coo their hearts out, and Mokey goes half-mad with annoyance. But I say they're welcome to come around anytime!

Another sign of spring: these really sunny mornings, made that much better by the heart-shaped prism dangling in the living room window. Three or four times in the past week, my mornings have been filled with little bits of rainbows scattered around the room. Love it!

Beth said...

Ah, spring! How I do love it. Birds, sunlight (the doves and the glass prism both sound lovely...makes me realize I should get a suncatcher!). It's still been quite cold here this week, at least part of the time, but I'm so grateful for spring!