Wednesday, May 28, 2008

After Monet

I've not had much time to blog recently, as I'm closing out the school year on all fronts: the sweet girls' kindergarten year, and final grades for my seminary course.

But S. and I are still doing "picture study" on Fridays. This past Friday we enjoyed looking at Monet's painting entitled Spring, and after we looked at it and talked a little bit about impressionism, we tried our hand at our own spring pictures. Here are our "After Monet" efforts:


I liked the sweet girl's work here. It's splashy and colorful and definitely captures spring, I think! I gave her an initial pencil sketch of the tree -- I basically just sketched a squiggly line or two to give her the idea of a tree and to get her oriented on the page. She added paint to that, and then took off and created her own beautiful piece, completely on her own.


And here's my attempt. I really enjoyed this!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Beautiful! So colorful and springy, and even if you hadn't mentioned the inspiration, I think I would have thought of Monet while looking at them. He's always been one of my favorites!

Beth said...

Thanks, Erin! He's always been one of my favorites too. I'm glad S. and I did this little exercise together. She is loving drawing, coloring and painting these days!