Monday, December 21, 2009

I Wonder What I'm Getting for Christmas...

A little while ago, the sweet girl and I were working our way through a big pile of laundry, chatting as we folded.

She held up one of my more pitiful socks.

S: Mommy, why do most of your socks have holes?
M: Well, a lot of my socks have worn out. And I haven't been able to replace them. So I'm keeping the ones with holes until I'm able to replace them.
S: (all in a rush) Don't do that till after Christmas! ~a pause, then ~ Not that I'm telling you what you're getting, just don't go out and buy any socks.

Hmm. Methinks my feet are going to be a lot more warm and cozy in January than they've been in December!

Of course, this slip-of-the-tongue can work both ways. I came close to doing it myself this morning when she came running over, holding up one of her favorite twist-up crayons with almost no crayon left in it. "Mommy, I'd really like it if we could get some more of these twisty crayons sometime. Lots of my favorite colors are out or almost out."

And I was this close to saying "Oh that's all right, honey. Daddy wrapped a package of those last night." Caught myself just in time!

Any good Christmas surprises hidden at your house?

6 comments:

Erin said...

Hehe! Sounds like a warm and snuggly and colorful, creative Christmas is in store at your house!

I'm pumped because I have the next two days off, and I'll be spending them being the busiest little Christmas elf I can be. Really hoping to make it to the post office tomorrow...

Beth said...

Sounds like fun! Do you plan to wear an elf costume like Buddy's? :-)

I'm worn out -- gave S. the school day off today, then spent it doing hours of catch-up housework (cleaning fridge, and several loads of laundry and dishes) and then more hours on church newsletter, and sending out Christmas letters/poems, and then syllabus revision and course planning for spring. I kept thinking all day that I'd manage to write one more review for Eps, but alas, twas not to be...

We're supposedly heading out on our travels tomorrow, though I'm so worn out, I'll believe it when I see it!

If we don't connect again before (internet access will be sporadic at best for me for the next few days) I hope you have a wonderfully merry Christmas!!

Erin said...

Hehe, I wish I had a Buddy get-up! I've been thinking lately how I kinda remind myself of him this time of year, though I'm not quite so outwardly exuberant.

But I can definitely relate to his enthusiasm, except for the one point, usually about three or four days before Christmas, when I feel like I'm about to have a nervous breakdown. That came yesterday for me when I was standing in the snow waiting an extra hour for the bus, but I've happily recovered. Smiling is my favorite!

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Janet said...

You're getting Dumbledore's favorite present!

Beth said...

Janet, I know...I love having this in common with Albus! :-) Merry Christmas!

Beth said...

Erin, I'm sorry you ended up waiting for the bus so long in the snow! Maybe a Buddy costume would have helped you out (though I think it would have been pretty cold...!)