Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Christmas Books & Homeschool Musings

Since we travel each Christmas, our family has gotten into a tradition of opening our gifts to each other sometime during the 12 days of Christmas after we return home. In recent years, we've tended to open gifts on New Year's Day, for the very practical reason that my husband has off from the office and we can have a relaxed and leisurely family morning.

Gifts are relatively few this year, but I suppose it's still possible I might have a book or two lying unopened beneath the tree (along with some socks, of course...) I've got a share in a family gift certificate to B&N thanks to a precious friend, and am pondering my endless list of books I'd love to read (there are many titles on my wishlist). Thanks to my very generous sister, however, I've already received two books, both from my Amazon wishlist, this Christmas: Alice Gunther's A Haystack Full of Needles, and Bob Hartman's Telling the Bible.

So tell me, what books did you get for Christmas?

It struck me, after I asked for these particular books, how much my reading tastes have changed in the past several years. For starters, both titles are non-fiction, something I used to read far more sparingly than I do now. These days I find myself far more drawn to the "new non-fiction" shelves at the library than the "new fiction" shelves, at least the adult fiction.

Secondly, the books represent deepening and ongoing passions in my life: my desire to build more community into our daily lives and homeschooling experience (hence the Gunther book) and my desire to be a better, more faithful and creative teller/writer/teacher of the Bible, at home and in other contexts (hence the Hartman).

It also dawned on me how much of my reading tastes are shaped by the internet. I would never have found Alice Gunther's book without having first read her blog and the blog of her friend Melissa Wiley. Those dear ladies, and a handful of other Catholic moms, writers, and homeschoolers, have no idea how much their blogs have meant to me in the past couple of years. As an Anglican homeschooler, I am in real awe of the richness of the Catholic homeschooling community and am so delighted I get to eavesdrop on their wonderful creativity. The way they share their lives with one another (and by extension with folks like me) is inspiring. My longing to build similar kinds of community and pockets of friendship is intensifying all the time. My desire to shape our homeschool experience by our observance of the church year and our unique traditions as Anglicans is also deepening.

The difficult thing, of course, is that most Anglicans don't homeschool...or at least relatively few of us in comparison to Catholics and non-Anglican evangelicals. Frankly I get lonely. The fact that I'm Anglican, that my family's life is shaped by urban mission and ministry, and that I only have one child can sometimes make me feel like an oddly shaped jigsaw piece trying to fit into a gorgeous puzzle. All the other pieces are shiny and well-cut and know where they're supposed to go. I'm the one that fell out of the box and got stuck under the sofa and then bent by the toddler. Whenever I start to feel that way though, I make myself stop. I think about the amazing diversity I have found among the homeschooling movement (where there seems to be no such thing as a "typical" homeschooling family, despite the abundant stereotypes). I laugh to think how some acquaintances of mine, who I'm pretty sure think homeschooling is only for crazy people, would marvel if they could see the depth and beauty of home learning in lives as diverse as the ones found at A Circle of Quiet, Karen Edmisten, and Mental Multivitamin.

Well, I've wandered far afield in these musings, which basically started out as "here are the books I got for Christmas"...but the point of good books is that they make me wander. And wonder. And ask questions. And think about who I am and who I'm still hoping to become.

All good things to ponder before opening presents on New Year's Day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Beth ,belated Christmas besides Wish you in advance a joyful New Year ahead.

Cheers!!!
Send gift to India,Win Ipod|New Year Anniversary Bonanza Gift Ideas Hyderabad

Erin said...

I love your jigsaw puzzle imagery! And I've enjoyed reading some of those blogs too, especially Karen Edmisten's. Homeschooling seems to me like a great adventure, and one on which you've embarked with a fitting spirit of enthusiasm.

Books I got for Christmas...
Donny Osmond's autobiography (not technically for Christmas, but given to me just for the heck of it a couple days beforehand); Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Stories Behind the Songs; a cute gift book about kittens I forget the name of; a treasury of Christmas stories; Return to the Hundred-Acre Wood; and 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up. I think that's everything...

Oh, and I bought myself a present - John Granger's new Twilight book! Haven't cracked it open yet, except to see his inscription on the title page, but I'm anxious to peruse that...

Homeschool Books said...

I bought my son a copy of Voddie Baucham's wonderful new book, What He Must Be if He Wants to Marry my Daughter. My daughter got a collection of Charles Dickens books. You can recognize a homeschooler just by his bookshelf!

Beth said...

Erin, I'm glad you're reading Karen Edmisten's blog...it may be my very favorite. Besides the fact that it's witty and wise, I love it that she has a 7 year they call "Ramona." If I had started my blog a year after I did, that likely would have been the sweet girl's blog name too. She still loves acting out Ramona stories!

Love the books you got for Christmas...that's quite a spectrum! I really need to check out the 1001 Books (because you know I need more to read in the coming year!) ;-)

Beth said...

Oh, Erin, I also meant to say how wonderful that you bought John's new book! Looking forward to hearing what you think of it. I've not yet been able to add that one to my library, but I know it will be good (as all his books are).

Beth said...

@ Homeschool Books, what a lovely idea to give someone a collection of Dickens for Christmas!