Saturday, August 28, 2010

100 Species Challenge #12: Yellow Flag (Iris)




I took this photo a few months ago on the bank of a stream at the duck park we like to frequent. Not my best shot, but it was a beautiful flower. I just recalled it the other day when looking through a book on water plants, where I spotted its classification "Iris Pseudacorus - Yellow Flag" and remembered again how lovely it was. Apparently this flower likes to grow near natural ponds. There's also a variegated variety with cream striped leaves.

The sweet girl has been lugging home big gardening books from the library. Although we don't have a yard (and hence no garden) she loves to look at beautiful gardens and flowers, just like her mom. She first discovered a big gardening book with color photos when I was looking through new non-fiction at the library one day. Since then I've introduced her to the gardening section in the grown-up part of the library (her first foray into that area) and she's been choosing some gorgeous books. They've been providing me with some wonderful beauty breaks too.

One day (I hope, I dream) she and I will be able to grow a real garden together. In the meantime, we'll keep cultivating a love of beauty!

No comments: