Monday, April 04, 2011

Poetry Month

I can't quite believe this, but I'm three for three with the poetry prompts at Poetic Asides this month.

This feels highly ironic. Last year, I was so excited going into Poetry Month -- I set goals (reading, writing, blogging)! I set goals -- and I met very few of them. This year, scrambling as I am in what I'm beginning to think of as "the never ending busy season called my life" my only unstated-to-anyone but myself goal was simply to enjoy more poetry this month. Read more (myself, and with the family), visit poetry blogs as I can, maybe write a bit from time to time.

So the fact that I have actually written a rough poem for each of the first three days of the daily prompts at Poetic Asides is a wonder to me. I'm actually not posting them there (that would feel too much like pressure) just playing with them in my journal. A few of them may wend there way here at some point! I just picked up the fourth prompt, which I shall mull over as I cook dinner...

I am just plain having fun with poetry this month. The sweet girl is enjoying our daily visits to Gotta Book's 30 Poets/30 Days. We've been enjoying some poetry books picked up from the library hold shelf on Saturday. I even launched my first ever write-off at Epinions in honor of Poetry Month.

Not bad for a lady who hasn't finished her taxes, is behind in every imaginable way with teaching and writing deadlines, is swamped with church commitments, can't possibly catch up on laundry (maybe ever again), and doesn't even want to think about all the record-keeping she needs to do for homeschool.

I have a feeling that writing poems right now is my way of taking deep breaths.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Ooh, sounds like Poetry Month is off to an awesome start for you. Great to hear it! And I should have another entry for you soon...

Beth said...

Yes, it's really gotten off to a lovely start, and it's totally surprised me. I've not written much poetry for the past several months...

It will be wonderful to get another entry from you! I need to get some up myself!

Shelley said...

Hi-- I don't know you...I found you on Edna's blog. But I wanted to thank you for your comments. I especially love reading your list of family readers. I read All-of-a-kind Family and I have boys. They loved it. They asked if there was a sequel? I was going to ck at the library, but saw it on your post. Thanks again from another mom. Shelley Simon

Beth said...

Shelley, thanks so much for stopping by! I'm so glad you find the list of family readers helpful. I'm not always good at keeping that list up-to-date, but knowing that someone's checking it and finding it useful will give me more impetus to do so! :)

All-of-a-Kind Family is such a gem, isn't it? It's one of my daughter's favorites (mine too). I'm glad your boys loved it. There are actually four sequels, though I'm not sure if they're all in print. We've only done the first (via the library) but I have a feeling we may try to find the others sometime!