Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The Thankful Tree

Yesterday afternoon the sweet girl and I did a very nice thanksgiving craft project. It was sent home by her Sunday School teacher (since she was too sick to attend church on Sunday) and I was most thankful for this lovely little project!

It's called a "thankful tree". Our family has done variations on this before, but usually just with paper. This is a very cool tree because both the trunk and the branches are made from foam pieces, and once you glue and tab everything together (very easy to do!) it actually stands up and makes a great table centerpiece. (If interested, this particular project can be ordered from the Oriental Trading Company.)

There were 20 foam leaves in all, in varying fall colors. We got out the markers and the sweet girl let me know...with a little bit of prompting and some thoughtful questioning from mom to help inspire...just what she's most thankful for.

And here's the list. I present these in no particular order of importance; this just happens to be how they got glued onto the branches!

--God
--bluebirds
--Trumpkin (her stuffed bear)
--our house
--Uncle P.
--sun
--birdies
--Jesus
--moon
--the A. family (family she stays with on Wed. mornings)
--books
--Daddy
--fall
--star
--Mommy
--spring
--drawing
--school
--ballet
--Aunt M.

If I have time late tonight, I think I might try to post my own virtual "thankful tree," the list of things I'm most thankful for as we head into this beautiful time of thanksgiving.

We travel tomorrow and I'll be computerless for six days. I will try to remember to journal by hand (now that's a novel concept nowadays!) and bring back plenty of good tid-bits for the blog next week.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Sounds like a great project, and a great list! I'll miss you while you're taking a break from cyber-land, but I can't wait to hear about your trip! I'm sure it will be awesome! :D

Beth said...

Thanks, Erin! I just sent you an email -- as you can see, I am STILL up. (Sigh...) But I really do plan to go to bed soon!

I'll be back in touch next week. Have a wonderful thanksgiving!

Beth