Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Simple Beauties on my Birthday



I thought about writing something profound in honor of my 40th birthday today...something like "40 reasons I'm grateful." I actually began mentally composing such a post this morning, which was a wonderful exercise in gratitude and blessings-counting.

But I'm having such a lovely, simple, quiet day...a day to rest and just be with my little girl, a day where I've been struck quite forcefully by just how contented I feel to be living in this moment. Thank you, Lord.

So I thought I'd just post this photo, which I took several mornings ago when the sweet girl was playing with her colorful rocks. Sometimes the joys we feel are hard to capture in words. Sometimes a photo feels like a poem. For some reason, this one seems to capture the state of my heart today. If I figure out why, I'll let you know.

4 comments:

Erin said...

What a beautiful picture! It's so joyful-looking, especially the way the sun seems to be hitting that rainbow of rocks. Glad to hear you've been having such a nice birthday! :)

Eeyore said...

Happy 4oth Birthday! And yes, sometimes those quiet sweet moments make the best birthdays.

Pat

Beth said...

Thanks, Erin! It was indeed a wonderful birthday, one of the best I can remember in a long time. Just filled with small but simple joys and lots of reminders of how many great people are in my life!

Beth said...

Thanks, Pat! It was so nice to have a day that felt so peaceful and quiet. Not that I didn't get a few funny cards, of course :-) to liven things up with laughter.