Thursday, June 25, 2009

"Why It Is Important to Edit" OR Just One Little Sound

So I just posted a review of a picture book. As I re-read my zippy little conclusion, I realized I had just written this:

"a fun picture book for all households who have ever had young picky eaters of kids with big imaginations"

I don't know about you, but I doubt picky eaters would find kids with big imaginations all that tasty!

I hastily changed "of" to "OR" and practically dissolved into giggles. Now I find myself humming Hap Palmer's wonderful song "One Little Sound."

Take the /r/ from rice, and the food is cold as ice
Take the /h/ from heat, warm it up and we can eat
Take the /t/ from tape and feed a hungry ape
Oh, what a difference, just one little sound


A great song: it not only works to teach phonics, but to remind writers of the importance of careful editing!

5 comments:

Erin said...

Ooh, I got a good laugh out of this! :D Yepper, one letter can make a big difference!

Beth said...

You better believe it! I just sort of sat there and blinked the first time I read that sentence through! Can you imagine the comment I would have gotten from sleeper if I'd left it? ;-)

Erin said...

LOL! You should have left it up for a bit, just to see what he would have said! ;)

Beth said...

Hee! Except he never would have believed me that I left it up on purpose!

Janet said...

And don't forget the wonderful song "Silent E" by Tom Lehrer....