Saturday, January 02, 2010

2010: The Year of the Butterfly Calendar

A happy new year! 2010! I still feel like I'm catching my breath on that one, and it may take me a while to fully grasp that it's really here.

My husband and I have been discussing what we'll call this year. I've heard people say "two thousand ten" and I've also heard folks try out "twenty ten." What do you find yourself saying so far? I think most of us got into the "two thousand habit" in recent years, but "twenty ten" has a nice ring to it and harkens us oldsters back to the good ol' days when we said "nineteen" something...something my seven and a half year old can't fathom!

I loved that the second day of the new year fell on a Saturday, as we got to do all of our favorite family new year's shopping traditions: we bought next year's Christmas creche figure (on sale) and this year's kitchen calendar (on major sale). As those of you who have read this blog for a while know, our little girl always gets to pick the kitchen calendar. Last year was the year of the dachshund in our kitchen, which turned out to be bittersweet since my parents' eighteen year old beloved-by-all-of-us dachshund died in February last year.

This year the sweet girl went for butterflies, long a favorite passion of her's, though this is the first time she's chosen a butterfly calendar. It's really lovely.


The house is a mess after two weeks of travel, holiday festivities, time off from school (for the sweet girl) and frantic paper grading, syllabus tweaking and editing project (me) but the kitchen at least has some bright touches: a lovely red kalanchoe plant on the table, gift from a co-worker of D's; a small but beautiful piece of pottery my sister sent for Christmas; and now the butterfly calendar.

May blessings and beauty flutter through this season of new beginnings for all of us.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Butterflies sound so lovely in the midst of this blizzard. Hooray for a kaleidoscope of colors!

It's two-thousand-ten to me, at least so far, but you're right, twenty-ten does have a nice ring to it...

Beth said...

I keep saying two-thousand ten myself, but so far the handful of folks I've informally "polled" seem to prefer twenty-ten. :-)

Are y'all having a blizzard? Eek. Perhaps I'd better check outside my window before I turn the Christmas lights off and head for bed. We were getting light snow when we came in from shopping several hours ago, but mostly it was just *bitterly* cold!