Saturday, September 11, 2010

Book Sale Bounty

Today was the Harvest Festival a couple of towns over, which includes...book sales!

I found some wonderful things in the children's section at the large sale at the Presbyterian church. Look at this lovely haul ~~

The Friendly Beasts (an old English Christmas Carol)
illustrated by Tomie dePaola

Caterpillars, Bugs and Butterflies
from the "Take-Along Guide" series of kids' nature kids we like so much

Drawing Faces
from the Usborne ARTideas series (internet-linked)

Mary Cassatt
by Mike Venezia (probably our favorite author on "introducing great artists" for now)

What Makes a Cassatt a Cassatt?
from the Metropolitan Museum of Art series I've heard such great things about (clearly someone was getting rid of their Cassatt books, to our delighted gain!)

Do You See What I See?
A Devotional Seek-and-Find Book for Advent
(published by Creative Communications for the Parish)

Socks
by Beverly Cleary (the sweet girl's big find of the day!)


A Hole is to Dig

by Ruth Krauss, illustrated by Maurice Sendak
(I practically danced a jig when I saw this -- a beautiful hardback copy in very nice condition, and I think it's a first edition! Of course I immediately thought of Ursula Nordstrom)


The Dragon of Lonely Island

by Rebecca Rupp
(which I just recently reviewed here)

And my dear husband picked up two great reference books, one called An Illustrated Life of Jesus (from the National Gallery of Art collection) and a book on the Age of Exploration (Time-Life's Great Ages of Man series)

And we got most of these for 50 cents each. A good day for books!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Great haul! I'm trying to remember now if I've read Socks. I think I have, but I can't remember it very well... But hooray for Beverly Cleary! And I don't think I've seen DePaola's version of The Friendly Beasts. I'll bet it's grand!

Beth said...

I don't know if I've read Socks either, but it seemed to be a good day for cats. S. also got a beanie baby cat from the used toy section of the sale!

I just can't seem to walk away from any DePaola book, especially not when it's in such lovely shape and costs so little. Something about his artwork gives me great comfort and peace.