Saturday, March 15, 2008

Telling Authors How Much We Love Their Work

With the internet and different forms of electronic communication, it's become so much easier in recent years to contact authors whose books you love and enjoy. I appreciate that many authors want to hear from readers, and I take them at their word. I know how much I enjoy it when anything I write "connects" with someone's mind and heart, and how delightful it is to hear someone say that! I can't imagine that enjoyment lessens even if you happen to have been a published author for years.

With that in mind, in recent months I've begun dropping "notes" to some of the sweet girl's favorite writers. It started a few months back with Marisabina Russo, whose gracious reply to our email made our day.

Then last week I decided to leave a note on the website guestbook of Mary Ann Hoberman, whom the sweet girl had recently told me was her favorite writer. How we have loved Hoberman's poetry this year! Since it's a public guest book, you can see what I wrote and Ms. Hoberman's wonderful reply here. Among other things, I learned that she and I share a love for Jane Austen. Given her rich enjoyment in language, that didn't really surprise me!

3 comments:

Erin said...

Very cool, Beth!! There are a few authors I've been meaning to write to as well, especially Cynthia Rylant, with as many of her great books as I've read lately. I'd say your note made Mary Ann Hoberman's day! :)

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Câmera Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://camera-fotografica-digital.blogspot.com. A hug.

Beth said...

Neat, Erin! Let me know if you write to Cynthia Rylant. I'd love to hear what she says!

I think you're right...we might have made Mary Ann Hoberman's day. We certainly love her work. I can't believe I've never reviewed any of her books. Must remedy that soon!