Sunday, March 09, 2008

"When I am 53..."

I'm in the midst of watching the film Becoming Jane, a rather fanciful, speculative take on Jane Austen's life (shaping her biography to emphasize the connections to her novels). Seeing it has made me go blog-hopping amongst Austen blogs, something I haven't done in a while.

One the blog Austenprose, I found a clever post with a quote from Stella Gibbon's novel Cold Comfort Farm. I haven't read that book in years, though I remember it was quite funny. I hadn't discovered Austen at the time I read it, so I'm sure this bit (which I'm excerpting from the slightly longer passage they posted) passed right over my head. But oh, it made me laugh now, especially since I'm just 2 plus weeks out from my 40th birthday...and find myself thinking the usual thoughts about what shape my writing life might take in the next decade.

I think it’s degrading of you, Flora,’ cried her friend at breakfast. ‘Do you truly mean that you don’t ever want to work at anything? ‘

Her friend replied after some thought: ‘Well, when I am 53 or so I would like to write a novel as good as Persuasion, but with a modern setting, of course. For the next 30 years or so I shall be collecting material for it. If anyone asks me what I work at, I shall say, ‘Collecting material’. No one can object to that. Besides, so I shall be.’
(Cold Comfort Farm, p. 20)

I have to change Flora's words, of course. I don't have 30 years or so to "collect material" -- only about 13 if I plan to manage my Persuasion-like masterpiece by the time I'm 53.

I'd better get cracking!

3 comments:

Erin said...

Ah, but you've already been collecting for years, even if it's been unconsciously! ;) I'd say the seeds of at least one brilliant novel are right here in this blog!

Beth said...

Oh Erin, that makes my day. Maybe my week, month, or year! Thanks, friend!

I've been sick as a dog (do dogs really get that sick?) for the past two days with a severe middle ear infection. Had an emergency visit to my doc. yesterday when the pain suddenly got unbearable, and I'm now on mega-antibiotics for the next 10 days while my ear drains (and drains and drains...) So...no novel writing this week, but I'm sure I am collecting LOTS of material! ;-)

Erin said...

You are most welcome! :)

I'm very sorry to hear about your ear infection. I hope you're right as rain again soon!