Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Book Notes: Children's Lit Version

I've been swamped, overwhelmed, tired...and my writing rhythm (here as elsewhere) has been ragged at best.

But yes, I do still read!

And on a blog called Endless Books, I do still love to talk about books. So here are a few (very) random musings on reading from the past week or two. For this post, I'll stick to children's literature I've read, and also family read-alouds. Grown-up fare coming in another post soon.

* Erin was right. I loved The Mother-Daughter Book Club, a mid-grade novel (first in a series) by Heather Vogel Frederick. It's light, fun fare for the middle school girl crowd, a book that pays loving homage to Louisa May Alcott's Little Women, one of the books of my heart. It might even possibly inspire a contemporary girl to read LW, if she's not normally too excited about 19th century literature, but my guess is that this book and the subsequent ones in the series, which pay tribute to other classic books, will fare best with girls who already love reading those kinds of books. Not to mention their moms. And of course, it made me long to start a mother-daughter book club, except that we know hardly any moms with girls anywhere remotely near the sweet girl's age right now.

* The Little House weeks appear to have drawn to a close. We read Long Winter followed immediately by Little Town on the Prairie, mostly because the sweet girl begged to. We usually take a break in between series books, but she's been on such a Laura Ingalls Wilder kick, I didn't have the heart to say no...plus it was too much fun to resist. Little Town is not my favorite book in the series, but it is an important bridge between two books that are: Long Winter and These Happy Golden Years. I am thinking the latter might make a good Christmas present for the sweet girl, since (oddly) it appears to be the only Little House book we don't own a copy of. We most usually have multiple copies, or at least doubles, but I seem to have misplaced my childhood copy of Golden Years and I guess we never picked up a newer copy at Half-Price books.

* While on the Little House kick, we had fun looking at some Laura Ingalls Wilder websites. I also thought it might be fun for the sweet girl to watch an episode or two of the Little House television series from my childhood, so I put the first season DVD set on hold. It arrived, and she immediately squelched that idea: "I don't think it will be anything like the books." Well, she's right about that, so I didn't push it, but D. and I had fun watching the first regular season episode last night, despite neither of us having any time to watch anything lately. We didn't know whether to laugh or cry: the series brought back such sweet memories (well, for me, at least) but the characters are so *not* the characters we know and love from the books. Michael Landon is charming, but he's just not Pa, is he? (Does he ever play the fiddle on the show? I can't recall...) We also found ourselves falling into fits of laughter over the California landscape (rugged hills and lots of old trees) trying to masquerade as Minnesota prairie. The sheer sentimentality of the show I had almost forgotten, though I did find myself almost tearing up at the end when the Ingalls realized the strength of their new community. But that probably has more to do with my own longing for deeper community right now than it does with the show's script or acting.

* "I need to find lots of things!" the sweet girl announced plaintively the other evening. She's been on the lookout for things she can "borrow" for the small dollhouse doll she has recently renamed Arriety. Yes, we're reading Mary Norton's The Borrowers for family read-aloud. I'd forgotten what a delight it is!

* Melissa Wiley went to Mankato. Isn't that awesome? I've been longing to go there for years, and it was such fun to see it through her eyes. The new issues of Carney's House Party/Winona's Pony Cart (with Melissa's foreword) and Emily of Deep Valley were released a few weeks ago. I especially love Emily and Carney, and hope to add these beautiful new editions to my collection soon.

4 comments:

Erin said...

So glad you liked the first Mother-Daughter Book Club book! :) My time ran out before I got a chance to read the fourth book but I'll be checking it out again soon. Really enjoy the series.

One of these days I need to read through all the Little House books. I haven't actually read very many of them. I watched a lot of Little House a few years ago with my grandma; she has a whole bunch of episodes on video. And now, of course, I always think of Sawyer when I think of the show...

Beth said...

Erin, I did indeed like the first book, and in fact, have put the second on hold. Thanks for the recommendation!

You were quick to comment, so you beat me to my revision of this post -- I had planned to link to your Epi review of Mother-Daughter Book Club but didn't have time to when I was getting this post up before dinner. The link's up now though!

Oh, the Little House books are all grand, but I do have special favorites. Reading them aloud with S. has been a delight, and confirmed my special love for certain books in the series. I think I am fondest of Big Woods, Farmer Boy, Long Winter, and Golden Years, though Plum Creek and Silver Lake are up there. I have a harder time with Little House on the Prairie (despite the fact that it's the best known title) maybe because it deals so much with Native American issues and always makes me feel sad (the writing, however, is gorgeous). Little Town has moments I love too, especially the beginnings of Laura and Almanzo's friendship, but it's the book where Mary goes away to college and I always miss her presence.

Ha! Sawyer! I'd forgotten he was a secret Little House fan. No wonder he's a softie at heart. Any news on what Josh Holloway might be doing next?

Erin said...

Thanks for the hat-tip! :)

Yes, I definitely need to read more Wilder. Seems like good reading for the winter!

Hmm, only thing on Josh's IMDB page at the moment is Mission Impossible IV. Which begs the question of whether I need to watch the first three to have any idea what's going on... I still think Rockford's getting tossed around, though.

Beth said...

I have a feeling that you could probably drop feet-first into Mission Impossible IV without missing a beat. I saw the first one -- quite glitzy, and quickly forgettable. I'd see the fourth just to see Holloway take a crack at it though!