Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Patchwork Post

Just a few patches from the crazy quilt of recent days...

SICK

If you were a little flummoxed by yesterday's brief post, or if you've been wondering where the heck I've been, it can all be summed up in one word: SICK.

And what an odd round of sickness it's been. It started almost a week ago when I discovered I'd done a mysterious something to my back. Terrible muscle spasms, not being able to bend or walk without real pain, and it felt worst while sitting in (or getting up from) my desk chair at the computer.

It got so bad late Thursday-into-Friday that I really couldn't walk or lie down without terrible spasms radiating from my lower back into my right hip. In desperation, I strayed from my normal natural homeopathic path (a good path, by the way) and slathered myself in the menthol Icy Hot ointment. And then (in a haze of pain) completely disregarded package directions and put moist heat on top of it, which must have made the stuff absorb into my skin incredibly deeply.

Note, if you think you might have the slightest allergy to salicylates, don't do what I did.

So the result was several days of some of the worst hives I've ever had, and believe me, I've had some doozies.

Then the weather turned chilly and it started pouring rain, and I started my annual autumn bout of congestion/cough. And the cough seemed to strain my starting-to-heal back, which gave me a couple more bad days (though not quite as bad) with my back.

And then yesterday I couldn't bear the hives anymore...they didn't seem to be responding to the homeopathic remedy I was trying...so I switched to another remedy and also gave in and took Benadryl.

Which proceeded to knock me flat for most of the day. SoI was either sleeping, fighting sleep, or wishing I was sleeping...

Hence my post about not teaching while under the influence!

***********
"SALVE, MAGISTRA!"

That was the sweet girl's enthusiastic greeting to me the other day. Yes, we've been studying the first few lessons in Prima Latina.

I'm glad we decided to take the gentle route with Latin this year. It's been a good, slow beginning for us, just what we needed. I'm having a hard time getting in all the things we want to do, but including one PL lesson per week has been easy peasy and such an enjoyment for all of us. We couldn't afford the DVDs, but we like the audio CD. The woman who narrates the vocabulary has such a sweet southern inflection.

One of the nice things about Prima Latina is its inclusion of Latin prayers. We've been working on memorizing the Sanctus. The sweet girl's favorite word from her lessons so far is "Oremus" -- "let us pray." She often uses it as our call to prayer at dinner time or candles!

**********
LIVING WITH THE EARLY CHURCH

Being sick has at least afforded me some opportunity to read, and read I must if I'm going to keep ahead of the curve as I help teach the Early Church course for the seminary. It's been so good to dive back into the apostolic and sub-apostolic periods (the course runs from NT church up through Chalcedon). So I'm spending a lot of waking hours in the company of folks like Clement of Rome, Ignatius of Antioch, Irenaeus and Justin Martyr.

Good company...probably some quotes/posts forthcoming.

**********
"FASCINATING," said Mr. Spock, with his eyebrow raised.

Although we've had almost no time to breathe, much less watch movies, Dana and I continue our meander through the Netflix provided season 1 of the original Star Trek. What a great show...and what memories it brings back (mostly of watching them in re-runs in the 70s, along with my big brother).

I've always been fond of Bones (given my maiden name, probably understandable) but I'm really finding myself drawn to Spock lately. Hmm...

**********
RECIPES FROM THE ROOT CELLAR

I have fallen in love with this cookbook by Andrea Chesman, which I found recently on the "just-in" shelves at our library. It's subtitled "270 Fresh Ways to Enjoy Winter Vegetables" and although I've only tried 2 of the recipes so far, I feel game to try as many as I can from the other 268. I LOVE winter vegetables, and this book has offered some wonderful ideas for using them. Full of yummy ideas using potatoes, squashes, dark greens, carrots and other root veggies (not to mention apples).

So far I've made the Italian Wedding Soup with kale (really good, though I'd like to try it with a veggie chicken broth next time...all I had on hand was regular veggie broth) and Rumbledethump (fell in love with the name!) a casserole dish based on a recipe for Scottish colcannon.

**********
FEELING LIKE MA INGALLS

I joked that cooking up such a hearty Scottish dish (made with potatoes, onions, and cabbage) made me feel a little like Ma Ingalls. But I've got Ma and all the rest of the Ingalls on the brain anyway, since we have been having a Little House festival of reading this fall. Unplanned, but delightful...we finished Long Winter the other day and launched immediately into Little Town. We've been saving the reading for bedtime so Pa...er, Daddy...can join the fun.

**********
BOOK REVIEWS!

Oh, do I miss writing book reviews. It's funny that a writing pastime that began on a whim several years ago has become such a delight of my heart, but I do loving writing book reviews. And I'm currently in a major review writing drought -- not for lack of books, but serious lack of time (busiest schedule ever this fall, compounded by health stuff lately...)

In addition to all the books I've read recently that are piling up on my desk (and beckoning me to write about them) yesterday I got a package of books to review from Greenwillow Press, imprint of Harper Collins. It's only the second time I've had a publisher directly send me books to review, and I have to confess, though it sounds silly, that I felt like a real reviewer as I oohed and aahed my way through these beautiful books I get to read, share about and keep. You would think almost 900 written and posted reviews online would make me feel like a real book reviewer already, wouldn't you? But we writers are funny creatures...

Many more patches I could share, but dinner calls.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I'm sorry you've been having such a rough week health-wise. :( Hope you're turning a corner!

Those Star Trek marathons sound like great fun. The original series was airing on Saturday nights here, but I don't think it is anymore. We used to have a lot of the episodes on tape, but they were really low-quality tapes and we got rid of them. One of these days I think we'll have to turn to Netflix for that too. Spock was always my favorite, especially after The Wrath of Khan, but I really love them all. Did I ever tell you I met Nichelle Nichols? She came to town to perform with the Philharmonic and stayed afterward to sign autographs. I hadn't really thought of her as a singer, but she's got a fantastic voice.

Rumbledethump really is a great name! It makes me think of Rumblebuffin in LWW...

Hooray for writing book reviews! That's so cool that you got a box of shiny new books to review; I've only gotten the one so far, from Epinions last summer, but it definitely was a rush - especially since it turned out to be a book that I really liked and probably wouldn't have heard of otherwise. I just posted a review of a book in a really adorable picture book series; I stumbled upon the third installment at work and couldn't wait to read it. Just as good as expected!

Happy reading, and hope your back is treating you better!

Beth said...

Erin, I'm so glad you love Star Trek! :) And how cool that you met Nichelle Nichols. I'd forgotten, actually, how much they let her sing in the earliest episodes -- she had two solos in the first half of the first season, during one of which she plays a harp, and then they show her playing a harpsichord in the wacky "Squire of Gothos" episode. I don't know if she was really playing or not, but clearly they wanted to establish her as a musical presence in the show.

I've gotten a couple of books to review from Eps before (including one I've never actually reviewed...I hated it, and don't quite know what to say about it!) and one book from the "Early Reviewers" program at Library Thing, which I keep trying to remember to check in with every month. The only time I got a book directly from a publisher before now was when I went chasing after Eerdmans Books for Young Readers (I do love their stuff) and begged them to please send me a book, since I was already writing such positive reviews about their things. The good-natured man who eventually sent me a book seemed to find my request a bit amusing -- he went out of his way to tell me that they typically only sent to "real" reviewers for actual publications (i.e. Epinions didn't count). I wrote a terrific review of the book, nonetheless, and sent him a link, to which he never replied. Sigh.

Anyway, I was happy to get these books from Greenwillow. I think only one of them is an ARC and the others recently published. All of them look grand, and one of them (the ARC) has totally excited S., since it's the first book in a new chapter book series and looks right up her alley!

Now if I could only find time to write...

Erin said...

I recall an episode in which Uhura sang something whose melody sounded almost identical to the Heffalumps and Weasels song...

Looking forward to your reviews!