Monday, March 05, 2007

Reading Round-Up As We Turn the Corner Toward Spring

Devotional reading: Recently finished Mudhouse Sabbath (Lauren Winner) which I guess ended up being my Epiphany reading!

For Lenten reading, I'm working on two books by Eugene Peterson, one old and one new (well, to me, at least). The "old" one is A Long Obedience in the Same Direction (a series of meditations on the Psalms of Ascent) which I first read about twenty years ago. The second is Eat This Book (reflections on ways we read the Scriptures).

Literary Reading: I'm currently enjoying Tony Tanner's book Jane Austen, especially his chapter on Pride and Prejudice.

Books recently finished: The Children's Blizzard (David Laskin); The Blizzard Voices (poems by Ted Kooser); The Irresistible Revolution (Shane Claiborne)

Children/Young Adult Books recently finished: Hattie Big Sky (Newbery Honor book by Kirby Larsen) and also Mercy Watson Goes For A Ride (Kate DiCamillo).

Some Current Favorites on the Sweet Girl's Shelf: Robins, Songbirds of Spring; Amazing Ants; Honey Rabbit

Fluffy reads: I recently finished books 3 and 4 in the Joanne Fluke "Hannah Swensen" murder mystery series: Strawberry Shortcake Murder and Lemon Meringue Pie Murder. Either Fluke is getting worse at plotting or I'm figuring out her formula, but I guessed the murderer's identity both times -- well before the end of the book. Still fun reads though -- the characters are especially amusing!

Educational/Homeschooling Resources: Currently perusing, from the Core Knowledge series, What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know.

I must be forgetting titles....I've read more than this since my last reading round-up! If I think of others, I'll update.


No comments: